Based in Canberra, Australia and Dresden, Germany
You are part of an elite squad with customized ships and special abilities. Team up with your wingman to shoot down enemy fighters, protect civilians and take down big space structures. Darkfield is combining the feel of classic space games with modern, mission driven co-operative gameplay. It will be build up from the ground for VR, but works on a variety of Windows, Mac and Linux setups, including single and multiscreen with TrackIR. We will support Oculus Rift, Playstation VR and HTC Valve as well as upcoming VR platforms. The final release will have a small explorative single player campaign, which will explain the history of the conflict you are fighting in. While most space shooters out there offers arcade style shooting controls we're targeting a more physics driven approach. You will really feel manoeuvring tons of weight through space. We focus on co-operative gameplay missions. In a team of 2-4 elite fighter pilots, each one with unique equipment and abilities, you have to work together to win battles against entire enemy fleets, bring down big space structures or protect civilian convoys. We take our inspirations from games like Left 4 Dead and Payday, but also childhood-memories such as Wing Commander and Lylat Wars. We feel like games are the most fun when they can be played with your friends. Fighting together side by side, taking down enemy battleships and coordinating attacks over shortwave radio creates such a strong sense of presence and achievement, it is just too good to pass up!
Development started in September 2013 after a roughly assembled demo experience for self-made "Hackulus" VR goggles and later the Oculus Rift DK1. The first alpha build was released in November as a very early prototype with almost no visual appeal, but already very stable network code and gameplay mechanics. Ever since, we're releasing new builds almost monthly to our very early supporters and got great feedback from them.
- Mission based Co-Operative Gameplay
- integrated Holodeck Single player Experience
- unique characters with highly modified Ships, Special Abilities and Weapons
- Online and LAN - there is no online-DRM and we will even provide a dedicated Server
- Support for Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR
v4.7 Kickstarter Kickoff Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "...space combat and giant mech-killing will settle in as the bread-and-better of virtual reality headsets"
- Yannick LeJacq, Kotaku
- "Clearly the team have had fun as the detail evident is lovingly attended. Even the player’s helmet has fine scratches on the visor’s glass."
- Paul James, Road to VR
- "The Oculus Rift is perfect for cockpit-based warfare in outer-space, which is why we’re looking forward to Darkfield VR so much."
- Tom Rudderham, TheRiftArcade
- "Darkfield VR is a great experience..." "...more amazing is that such a small indie team are creating such an ambitious game and are delivering the quality seen in this Alpha build."
- David, VirtualRealityReviewer
Darkfield VR, is the brainchild of the infinitely talented chaps in VR Bits." "[...] I was able to live out my Star Wars dreams. DarkField VR is fantastic looking, lovingly put together and a feast for the senses."
- David Mulhall, checkyourscreen
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About VR Bits
More information on VR Bits, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Darkfield VR Credits
Developer, Game Designer
Developer, 3D Artist
3D Artist, Concept Artist